Friday, March 28, 2008

Is this the end?

Without the distraction of work, I had the opportunity to spend a little bit more time talking to the people of Saatchi & Saatchi before my final departure.

I had a brief chat with Tony which I found slightly awkward as I still resent his decision to not keep me on.

I talked to Carine and Cess who offered me some advise about collecting for the Oxfam trail walker, which lead on to a discussion around whether advertising is dead. It turns out that it’s not, but it’s changing: as mass media shifts towards social media, so advertising follows. Either way, upon reflection, I’ve come to realise that I don’t enjoy advertising or collecting for money. I want to work so that people to just want to give money, or want to buy a product.
I had a good convo with Chris that developed into what we should learn in school. We talked about our experiences at tertiary studies, he had done an engineering degree at AIT, but felt at the time that it was difficult to apply to real life. We agreed that the tertiary studies I was doing at Unitec were good because they relate to the industry and I’ve been given opportunities to work as part of the degree programme. But what should kids learn at school? Calculus that doesn’t necessarily relate to the industry? Spelling that could become irrelevant as spell checks become more common?

Various other stuff happened, it was fairly emotional for me as I really did appreciate the lovely people that work here.

Then it dawned on me that I should ask for another week on Internship. I called Tony and asked that he keep me on for another week in return for a $500 donation to the Oxfam trail walker I was about to complete. He said that he’d follow up on the people I had mentioned who had further work for me. I called everyone I thought might have some work for me. I thought that between Carine, Debby, Sarah and Angelina, there would certainly be enough work to warrant another week there. It turns out that there would be. I emailed Tony with the names and details of the work. Hopefully something will come out of this because I really want to stay on for a little bit longer – leaving on my own terms would make me feel much better about everything. Less bitter about not being offered further hours, yet Red had. TBC.

No comments: